Saturday, July 2, 2011

Late night hunger

So this post is very late. I was going to do it this morning but I wanted to sleep so I didn't have time to. I left to go shopping at 10:30 and I really wanted to make this post worthwhile so I didn't do it.

Yesterday... (I just realized why I did the posts first thing in the morning - it's a lot easier to remember what happened the day before) oh yeah! Yesterday was the first day of my extracurricular activity: Korean traditional cooking. I had to wake up early for it (we met at 8:30!) but the food in the end was worth it. We made 갈비찜 and 김치 (Seoul style). It was weird though because we just helped our instructors do things like chop vegetables and they actually made the food for us. Slightly disappointing, honestly...

Afterwards, I went and did my laundry. The prices are pretty comparable to those in the dorms but I think they might be cheaper. I guess it had been a long time since I did laundry since I nearly forgot to put the detergent in! -__-

After that was done and I took a nap and did some homework, I went down really far to find supplies for 떡볶이 with Nima. He agreed to make some so we went to go find ingredients. It was really hard to find them and they were so expensive! Groceries in Korea are really expensive. It's annoying since it's cheaper to just eat out...so that's what we end up doing. Anyway, I learned that "brown sugar" in Korean literally means "dirt sugar."

We came back to the dorms and made the food in the kitchen downstairs (where we had the cooking class). It took waaaayy too long, but in the end, it was worth it!

The summer school here plans some weekend field trips and the one yesterday was for a performance of comical and musical nature: Bibap. It was incredible. There were b-boys, beatboxers, singers, and they all acted. It was about cooking and the skits were hilarious despite the lack of words used. It was truly amazing. Here's a picture of the stage. I wish I could have taken pictures of the performance:


After the performance, a group of us decided to go down to Sinchon to grab food. I guess after watching a show about cooking, we were all hungry. We went down and wandered around a bit until we found some good street food. I opted for the ice cream waffle - literally an ice cream waffle taco! It was amazing.

We (there were at least six of us and I don't want to keep having to refer to names) wandered around from stand to stand for a bit and eventually made our way back to the dorms... It was a long day and I enjoyed being about to sleep (for a bit).

No comments:

Post a Comment